A guide to things that suck:
- Men that cheat on their wives. They suck. Hey buddy-have the guts to say something’s wrong and work on your marriage. I’ve seen brilliant, beautiful, amazing women who’ve had their self respect and their family torn from them because he thinks he has the right to go outside of their marriage. “She didn’t make me feel special anymore”. Really? Grow up! You are pitiful and you don’t deserve the women I’ve seen you tear up.
- Women that cheat with married men. They suck. Remember when you were a kid and you couldn’t take something if it wasn’t yours. IT’S THE SAME THING. He’s taken. He’s not yours. Leave him alone and find your own man. If he tells you what is wrong with his wife DON’T LISTEN. He needs to work on his marriage PERIOD. It is NOT your job. There is NOTHING he is telling you that is true. Honestly. Even if she is as bad as he says-it is not your right to insert yourself into their marriage. Have some self respect.
- Moms that pass judgment when another mom messes up. They suck. I left my sweet, sweet son standing with his coach in a dark field (I mean pitch black) with another mom, and had to endure her calling me “ridiculous” for being late. Hey lady, you suck. And the coach that didn’t return my sincere note of apology with at least an acknowledgement – he sucks too. I was in a panic when I dropped the oldest at football practice and turned back to pick up my son on the soccer field and realized the sun was setting too fast and I would never make it. I was nauseous when I got out of the truck and called to Sammy and heard his voice come back “I’m here mommy”. YES, I SCREWED UP. I should have, could have, and needed to do a million different things to NOT have that happen. But I screwed up! My son has accepted my apology; two nights later I’m still laying awake tormenting myself in that special way that we moms do when we err in our judgment and now I have to face this coach and this mom, still angry and ashamed of myself and somehow understanding and getting their judgment my of actions. I PRAY I have more compassion the next time a mother does something wrong and take solace in the fact that I will stand there with her child waiting for her and when she shows the slightest angst about being late I will tell her “we’ve all been there and you need to forgive yourself”.
- People who throw their cigarette butts out the window. They suck. I hate seeing your mess on the side of the road; seeing your absolute disregard for the planet and for any sense of civility. Grow up and clean up your act. I don’t want to see your butt.
- Mean people. They suck. Every time they talk mean to someone; either a waitress or a store attendant or an elderly gentleman driving in front of them; their children watch them and think THAT is the standard for humanity.
- Bullies. They suck. I see my children and other children dealing with the little snips and snarks that come from kids that are brought up thinking it is okay to hurt other kid’s feelings. Not enough for a sixth grader to ask mom to intervene, but enough to hurt his feelings. We have a family that is deeply involved in their faith living in our school sector. Their commitment to their church and faith is terrific, but their son is tormenting another child in the neighborhood at school. Get a hold of things and make sure that your kids are practicing what you preach.
Some might say people who make statements like this suck. Then I suck. I do take a stand on things I think are wrong. I HATE injustice and I hate feeling like I’m not making life better for someone. I guess that is what I think life is all about. Spreading the good and speaking out when you think something sucks.
Parenting Tip of the Day: Let your children know that there are things that people do that are wrong. FLAT OUT WRONG. Not everything can be put into context or should be understood. Teach them to stand up for things that are right.